Web Hosting Forum - Net Hosting Talk

We are a community of individuals and businesses passionate about web hosting. Let's build, learn, and grow together.

What to install on a new server?

tranzmedia

Novice
I have just purchased a VPS hosting server and going to install a hosting control panel as plesk, cpanel or directadmin, but the first thing to install now is OS, i would go with Centos and Ubuntu but i am not sure which one is better for those hosting control panels. Can you suggest me which one should i go with?

• Advertisement
  • It depends on your requirements. if it is a personal use VPS then you can start with ubuntu 20.4 with DirectAdmin. DirectAdmin supports openlitespeed with suphp which increases the website speed & uses fewer server resources.

You can use cyber panel with centos 7 also, a free alternative control panel with openlitespeed.

Because a virtual private server (VPS) functions in the same way as a dedicated server, you may install almost any software product you want. When you purchase a VPS, you will have complete administrative and root access to your server, and you will be able to configure it exactly as you want it. However, you must keep in mind the physical limits (disc space, RAM, and CPU) of your VPS package.

Centos OS support most of the control panel. But recommend almalinux for long run since Centos 8 end of life soon, and thereafter centos 7 will soon in 2yrs time.

Ubuntu is better if you run software or specific apps for regular hosting for CMS or WordPress and so on Centos 7 is better and faster than Ubuntu or you can install ALmalLinux instead CentOS 7or 8.

CentOS is technically easier to use, so if you are a beginner use that. If you are a little more of an advanced Linux user and know your way around the shell, then go with Ubuntu.

When installing a new server, there are many different operating systems to choose from. Each has its own benefits and drawbacks, so it's important to choose the right one for your needs.
    One popular option is Windows Server 2016. This operating system is designed for businesses of all sizes, and it offers a wide range of features and tools. It's also compatible with a variety of hardware, making it a good choice for organizations that want flexibility.
    Another option is Linux. This open source operating system is free to use, and it offers a number of features that are not available in Windows Server. It's also known for its stability and security, making it a good choice for organizations that need these features.
    Ultimately, the decision about which operating system to install will depend on your specific needs and preferences.

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Back