Web Hosting Forum - Net Hosting Talk

We are a community of individuals and businesses passionate about web hosting. Let's build, learn, and grow together.

Google domains sold off to Squarespace

bernadette

Registered
Hi,

Google has killed yet another product. Google domains are now being sold to Squarespace, and Google is killing its entire domain and the small hosting line that went along with it. This doesn't seem to impact Google Cloud, but it shows how Google can amass a reported 10 million domains and drop that product like it wasn't making money.

How do you'll feel about that? Many people jumped on the Google is Great bandwagon early on, but this hardly lasted two years.

A cute blurb from Squarespace's page about this "Squarespace will honor all existing Google Domains customers' renewal prices for their domains for at least 12 months after closing the acquisition" I'd get ready for some price increases on those domain registrations.

• Advertisement
  • I transferred all my domains to Cloudflare a couple of years ago and never looked back - no markup on domains at all. Plus, if your domain is registered at Cloudflare, you get access to bot fight mode. The only downside is that you have to use their name servers - so if you have some other service that requires you to use their name servers, then Cloudflare might be a barrier to that.

I transferred all my domains to Cloudflare a couple of years ago and never looked back - no markup on domains at all. Plus, if your domain is registered at Cloudflare, you get access to bot fight mode. The only downside is that you have to use their name servers - so if you have some other service that requires you to use their name servers, then Cloudflare might be a barrier to that.
    Cloudflare seems like a good option. Let us know how you go. I love their DNS and have had it running for about a few projects.

These are the points I was looking at before transferring my domain to Cloudflare:
    • Free Whois Privacy: Yes
    • 2FA using FIDO (passkey/security key): Yes
    • Good prices: Yes
    • Email forwarding: Yes
    They claim to be about users' privacy and are not selling your information.

• Advertisement
  • That makes me sad. I just created a new domain with Google Domains last month. I liked how easy it was to see everything that was available. I will probably return to my previous registrar unless I find another host.

Advertisement

Back