Web Hosting Forum - Net Hosting Talk

We are a community of individuals and businesses passionate about web hosting. Let's build, learn, and grow together.

Is it a good idea to buy a domain for 5 years

littleton

Novice
Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a domain for my website, meaning the website would be up for at least that long, if not longer. Should I pay 5 years for them to avoid yearly renewals?

What are the pros and cons of paying for domains for long periods?

• Advertisement
  • If you care about the domain, I recommend registering it for at least 5 years. It’s helpful for security purposes to register for 5 years or more.

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a domain for my website, meaning the website would be up for at least that long, if not longer. Should I pay 5 years for them to avoid yearly renewals?

What are the pros and cons of paying for domains for long periods?
    When you renew for several years, such as 5 years, you can prove that you own the domain if/when it’s stolen. We have had plenty of clients whose domains have been stolen, and when it comes down to it, we can show they registered for 5 years or more, and it didn’t expire.

I'm not a fan of doing longer-term renewals. Emails can change, especially if you're using generic rather than branded, credit cards expire, staff change and people forget who you registered through too.

It’s helpful to not only secure the domain but also “locks pricing”. For example if you register the domain for 5 years at $12/year but next year Verisign raises prices 20%, you’re not affected until you go to renew in 4 years.

Buying a domain for 5 years can be a good idea if you want to save money, demonstrate commitment, protect against price increases, and have a long-term project. Consider your specific circumstances and goals before making a decision.

• Advertisement
  • Benefits of registering domain for long period:
    • Price lock.
    • You can stay with your favorite domain registrar for long time.
    • Less risk of expiry of domain because of you forget to renew it on time or missed your registrar domain expiry warnings.

Disadvantages:
    • If you want to change your domain name after few months or just next day then you will lose money of extra renewal time.
    • One of my domain was frozen because of my domain registrar violated terms of "TLD accreditor".

Advertisement

Back