Web Hosting Forum - Net Hosting Talk

We are a community of individuals and businesses passionate about web hosting. Let's build, learn, and grow together.

Looking for Hosting What do you think about an inexpensive hosting service?

GeorgeVes

Novice
Hi,

I'm considering a hosting service because it's inexpensive. $5.99 per month for the Unlimited plan. But is it a good idea? What typically goes wrong with a cheap hosting service? And are problems commonplace? Would I be better off going with a more well-known and reputable company, even if it costs more?

I want to use it for a new forum website. I will try hard to market my forum over the Internet, but I'm not sure how much traffic it will get.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Well, it depends. I don't consider $6 to be that inexpensive and that seems to be fairly normal pricing. Usually you need to be concerned when you see $2 or $1 plans. A lot of smaller hosts are great hosts - just make sure you do some checking. After all, we all had to start from nothing. Some points to consider: have they been in business for a while? What do the reviews say and are there any reviews? What does their TOS say about "unlimited"? I've seen some "unlimited" plans have ridiculously low inode limits (an inode is a file or directory in your account), like 100,000. It sounds like a lot, but it's very easy to hit as cPanel can store a lot of different files in your account for settings, logs, etc. I've also seen some that will forbid files over certain sizes or types. So always make sure you understand the actual limits of "unlimited". And always make sure you keep local backups of your site. If it seems like a trustworthy host, having that backup can make things easier to get back online in case they do shutdown. But even the large hosts are not without risks. It's not uncommon to find people on social media complaining that their site has been down 12+ hours or even days and no response. Or a lot of the larger hosts make it impossible to open a ticket unless you open a live chat or call them - often, the wait times can be over an hour. I've also heard that a lot of times, their "fix" to a problem is just upgrade your account. So you just have to decide what will work best for you. That's why I always recommend starting with a monthly service. At the very worst, you're just out one month of service assuming they don't have a money back guarantee. At best, you found a host that will appreciate the business.

Inexpensive hosting services can be a great option for individuals or small businesses with limited budgets. They typically offer basic features such as website creation tools, domain registration, email accounts, and storage space for your website files. While they may not offer as many advanced features as more expensive hosting options, they can still provide a reliable hosting solution.

However, it is important to note that some inexpensive hosting services may come with limitations such as bandwidth restrictions, limited support, or slow loading times. It is essential to research and compares different hosting providers before deciding. It is also important to consider the long-term costs, as some providers may offer low introductory prices but increase their rates after the initial period.

Inexpensive hosting service can be a good option for small businesses with small budgets. It is only good for startups because when a business goes to another level it requires to purchase an expensive hosting service as the website of the business will be facing larger traffic

• Advertisement
  • You don't have to worry about traffic. You can upgrade to a higher plan at any time if traffic increases.

Suppose your forum requires a dedicated server, then you can lease a dedicated server when required.

Expensive hosting companies host fewer websites on their servers while inexpensive/cheap hosters host more websites on their servers to make profit.

Advertisement

Back